Temple Hirst was the second oldest Preceptory in Yorkshire, next to Faxfleet, being founded in 1152 after a gift of land by Ralph de Hastings. Little is known of the Preceptory pre suppression exept that it was one of the principal wool producing estates held by the Templars, only surpassed by the Large Lincolnshire Preceptories.There are records to show that the village Church of Kellington just over the River Aire was financed and actually built by the brethren of Hirst, there being an effigy within, that is reputed to be that of a Templar.
At the suppression and the subsequent arrest of the Order members the Preceptor was named as Frater Ivo de Etton and his Claviger or Steward Adam de Crak both survived the inquisition but were ordered to periods of penance, they were later pardoned and given small pensions to live on.
There is little left of the original Preceptory save a tower which was believed to be one of a pair, after various agricultural uses over the centuries it, along with a later adjoining barn was converted into a residential home for the elderly which is its role today.
A later claim to fame is that Temple Hirst was believed by many to be the setting for Sir Walter Scotts "Ivanhoe" with many of the features in the novel being easily identifiable in the surrounding countryside.